5 Best Practices and Tips for Staying Safe Online
The internet has become an integral part of our daily lives, from working from home, online shopping, social media, and banking. While the internet offers numerous benefits, it also comes with risks. Cybersecurity threats have become increasingly prevalent, every week you hear in the news about cyber attacks and often it’s large organizations. But its not just large companies that are at risk, everyone who uses the internet must take steps to protect themselves.
Here are 5 best practices and tips for staying safe online.
- Use strong passwords: Passwords are the first line of defense against cyber attacks. Use strong passwords that include uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Passwords should be unique.
- Avoid using the same password for multiple accounts: It is common for people to reuse passwords since it can be difficult to remember different passwords for each account. However, reusing passwords can make you more vulnerable to cyber attacks. If a less secure website is compromised or hacked, hackers may try those username/emails and passwords on more important websites like banking. This is where two-factor authentication can help which is our next tip.
- Use two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication sounds complicated, but it really isn’t and it adds an extra layer of security to your accounts. Enabling this feature requires a second form of verification, such as verification questions that only you know the answers to, a text message code sent to your phone, email or an authenticator app.
- Regarding apps, make sure you keep your software and apps updated: One of the best ways to keep your device and personal information safe is to keep your software up to date. Updates often include security patches that fix vulnerabilities.
- Be especially careful with social media: Be mindful of what you share on social media. Avoid posting personal information, such as your address or phone number, and be cautious of friend requests from unknown people. Think of the questions that websites often ask when you put in personal information such as the name of your pet, first car, where you met your spouse etc… if you are sharing that information publicly on social media then you could be providing criminals with the information, they need to steal your identity.
In conclusion, the internet offers numerous benefits, but it also comes with risks. It is essential to take steps to protect yourself from cyber threats. By following the 5 tips outlined above, you can stay safe online.